Wednesday 28 October 2015

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

I wonder who or what this poem makes you think about.  Maybe someone you know, or maybe yourself.

It was written about a woman who felt stuck in a pattern of behaviour in terms of bad relationships. By the end of the poem she has taken responsibility for the choices she has made and decided to make changes.

On reading it, I thought it might be relevant to many people who feel stuck in a pattern of behaviour, from not being able to stop smoking or overeating, to feeling trapped, or even being depressed.

Counselling can help you work through unhelpful patterns of behaviour, and once you start seeing things differently you may realise that there is a way out of that vicious circle.

Anyway, here it is. See what you think.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
By Portia Nelson

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless ...
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But it isn't my fault.
It takes a long time to get out.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

I walk down another street.






No comments:

Post a Comment